10 Secrets to Minimizing Post-Treatment Bruising
Our board-certified dermatologists at Genesis Dermatology employ state-of-the-art procedures when providing skin care. Many of our treatments result in no downtime afterward. Sometimes, however, post-treatment bruising is inevitable. So here are 10 ways you can prevent it altogether, or speed your recovery if you do experience it.
Plus, we’d like to introduce you to a new product we’re very excited about that has been clinically demonstrated to substantially reduce bruising as well as improve the skin’s overall appearance.
What causes bruising?
Bruising is the body’s normal reaction to injury, including cosmetic treatment and surgery. It is caused by the leakage of blood from the capillaries, which then pools beneath the skin, resulting in a blue, black, or purple area. While rarely serious, such bruising is unsightly and can increase the downtime associated with various procedures.
Because skin is protective yet delicate, there is a risk of bruising after any invasive treatment, including cosmetic injections. Even a simple blood draw during a medical checkup can leave a bruise at the site.
At Genesis we take every precaution to reduce the risk of post-treatment bruising, but here are some other ways you can help reduce or prevent it.
The best way to minimize bruising after any cosmetic or medical procedure is to head it off in the first place.
- Before any procedure, avoid blood-thinning medications, supplements, or foods for one week. These include:
- naproxen or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication
- John’s wort
- omega 3 supplements
- Ginko Biloba
- Do not smoke for at least two weeks before or after any procedure. Cigarette smoke increases inflammation throughout the body, thus increasing bruising and inhibiting wound recovery afterward.
- Three to five days before the procedure, begin taking vitamin C-3 supplements, which will help strengthen the capillaries and minimize bruising afterward.
- Consume healthy proteins such as nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, and poultry, and avoid processed foods, which trigger inflammation throughout the body. Green leafy vegetables, as well as carrots and cabbage, provide the nutrients necessary to strengthen blood vessels.
- Ice is your best friend following any type of injury, surgery, or cosmetic treatment. It helps reduce blood flow to the area, which thus minimizes the chance for bruising. Never apply ice or ice packs directly to the skin; wrap them in a towel first.
- Arnica Montana is a homeopathic remedy that helps reduce pain and speed the elimination of bruises. It’s available in gel, cream, ointment, or in oral pill or spray that can be applied under the tongue.
- Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple that not only helps resolve the appearance of bruises, but has also been shown to improve pain and swelling.
- Quercetin is a fruit-derived flavonoid extract available in cream and gel form, often combined with other ingredients that help reduce bruising.
- Laser treatment is another option. If the above methods don’t satisfactorily resolve bruising, our board-certified dermatologists can offer the latest in laser technology that offers noticeable improvement immediately.
- Finally, you might want to try a new product we have discovered called INhance, by Alastin. Alastin is a high-quality skin-care line available only through doctors’ offices, and they recently introduced the INhance serum, which is specially designed to reduce bruising after cosmetic treatments and to accelerate recovery.
INhance contains a number of ingredients to help reduce the risk of bruising, make bruises resolve more quickly, and improve the skin’s appearance. The serum works with the skin to clear out damaged elastin and collagen and support the skin’s natural ability to produce new elastin and collagen.
This includes arnica and ledum, two natural substances that help decrease swelling, inflammation, and bruising. The serum also contains a proprietary ChromaFADE technology which helps fade bruises, as well as such ingredients as silver mushroom, hyaluronic acid, and hexapeptide-38, which have been proven to nourish and enhance the skin’s appearance by improving skin hydration and plumpness.
Another unique feature is the cooling applicator tip, which provides a soothing effect during and after treatment.
Genesis Dermatology offers the latest in comfortable, long-lasting, cutting-edge cosmetic and medical treatment to provide the results you want. Come see us today to learn how you can present your best face to the world!